Sweet Potato Pancakes
This morning I grew tired of the original fare of cereal/oatmeal and milk. So, a veggie alternative! This is a very easy and doesn’t take that long to make (<15 mins), the only moderately difficult thing would be grating the sweet potato. And I admit, the wrist does hurt after shredding those silly tubers, but the flavor and satisfaction definitely outweighs the effort.
Makes 3 medium pancakes or 4 small ones
You will need!
- 1 whole sweet potato (washed)
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- one egg
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- a couple of slices of white cheddar (optional - but delicious!)
- Grate the whole potato - skins and all!
- in a bowl mix the egg and sweet potato together
- place butter in cast-iron skillet (or any pan, I just like cast iron), melt on medium-high heat
- Mix flour into potato mixture, stir until all flour is incorporated
- Add salt and pepper (and maybe any other herb/flavor you want) to the egg-tater mixture.
- Wash your hands, then form a handful of sweet potato mixture into balls, then squish and shape them into discs
- Once pan and butter is hot, place discs in pan - there will be a pleasant sizzle!
- After 4-5 minutes, flip the pancakes over, cook both sides until crisp
- Turn off the heat and place some cheese on each pancake, the hot air from the pan will help melt the cheese (Optional)
The potato was cooked but not mushy, I would say this is a great alternative to a typical morning hash brown.
Thanks for reading!